Monday 20 June 2011

Finding a place to live in Stockholm

Moving is never easy. Having just left my flat in Scotland, I am now 'between houses' which means that I am back living with my parents, my usual location when in this situation. This is slightly depressing when now at 27 years of age, as it feels as if I should really not need this stopgap by now (although the student lifestyle often means that I have to swallow my pride). This aside, finding somewhere new is not always easy but it seems that finding a place in Sweden is a great deal more difficult than it is in the UK. The housing crisis affects most of the large cities in Sweden, especially Stockholm where the demand for places far outweighs what is available. 

The problems that Stockholm faces has been known about for a number of years. This article in DN.se reports that Stockholm country grew by 38,000 people in 2009 but only 5,100 new homes were built. This article was written in May 2010, and so the problem has been growing:

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/bostadskris-bromsar-stockholm-

The problem is affecting Stockholm's growth, and as long as there is nowhere to live no young people will want to move to the area and the same for foreign expertise. The city is quite clearly stagnating, and the current government are facing criticism for not doing enough about it. For someone needing to move there in September on grounds that the central archives in Sweden are naturally in the Capital, this is all fairly worrying. I can live at my parents' house in Gothenburg and commute up to Stockholm for a two/three weeks at a time. I have a friend I can stay with for two three weeks at a time but her flat is far too small for it to be anything longer than that. That would be far from convenient but would work if forced into it by circumstance.

In the meantime I have kept looking at websites advertising rooms being hired out in second hand and I have joined 'bostadskön' (housing queue). The problem with the latter is that I have another friend who joined the queue in 2003 has only just started to get offers of places. The whole thing is ridiculous. I have also looked at such queues for students (to student accomodation) but I do not study at an educational institution in Stockholm so I cannot gain access to these facilities. I am perhaps also hampered by the fact that I am used to the UK, where accommodation may be expensive but it is largely always available. Places are also available for purchase, but I do not have the funds available to do this right now, however much I may want to.

My problem is not desperate. I can, if forced to, live in Gothenburg and commute up to the capital. This is not ideal but it is workable. It is far from an ideal situation however and one feels that a city like Stockholm should have more housing in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment