Wednesday 13 July 2011

Buying Glasses

I am incredibly short sighted. It has gotten to the point now where I get free eye tests according to the NHS in the United Kingdom as my left eye is now below -10. Accordingly, I need glasses, and these for me are a necessity rather than a fashion accessory. Since I broke my last two pairs (I bought two pairs for one at Specsavers) I have been using contact lenses, but in the long run it is not good for my eyes to wear them all the time. Thus I needed some new glasses. I decided that because I liked them the last time, I would return to Specsavers.

Turns out that what initially seems like a good deal (998 sek) for two pairs of glasses, suddenly turns out not to be so great with the amount of ad-ons. With the thickness of my lenses it has become necessary for me to have extra thin ones. These add on 1500 sek to the price (only for one pair). The other pair needed to be scratch proofed as well, which cost an additional 600. So what originally seemed like a good idea turned abit more expensive than I had hoped. The one saving grace is that a pair of glasses do last a while if treated properly, and will hopefully now save me a bunch of money on contact lenses, which are definetly in the long run more expensive.

It feels a litte unfair that those who genuinely need their vision corrected should have to pay such extortionate amounts for the privelage. Unfortunately, we have little choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment