Monday 4 July 2011

A little tired of this now...

When I woke up this morning I read this article:

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/sverige/article1505340/SN-Sank-studiestodet-for-humaniora.html

As a history student, I have become accustomed to the fact that we are a laughing stock both in academia-especially from science subjects- and in the media. I've already written about graduate students and the prospects they have for the future, or rather lack of them, this is double for those who are studying in the humanities...Well, we are all accustomed to the job prospects for us seem to be unbelievably dark, because who would actually hire someone who has their head in the clouds, and done research on dead creatures. It is said that there is a lack of need for us, and the world seems very happy to show us this constantly. Or so says Svenska Näringsliv Humanity students will have less chance in the job market than the engineers and therefore shall be entitled to a smaller contribution. This also applies to those who are studying art. This will sound awfully bitter,but I'm tired of having to defend my subject for those who seem to think that it is not meaningful. What really happened with the right to study what you want? Although I'm afraid that more and more students embarking on studies won’t be able to find jobs, they are still entitled to the same support as any other. In addition, it feels as if they see humanity students as not have anything to give the labour market, which is completely untrue. Of course I can not speak for other topics within humanities framework, but my history studies have given me a great analytical ability, and talent to make myself understood both in speech and writing. Not only this, but I'm good at researching through various sources, to provide a concise but complete overview of their contents, and then use them in my argument. These characteristics are easily transferable to the world of work. So I have given you the description I always give in the cover letter and it feels like things are going against me more doing this on my blog but it also feels like I have no choice. How much do they think humanity students will react when they say that we are not as worthy as the rest of the applicants. It is totally unacceptable.

Okay, I'll stop now. It is not the first time I have had to say this and the worst thing for me is it is certainly not the last. The fact that the debate will surely scare away people from these subjects, which surely is the point of it all. One thing I was going to say before I put it down this time is to describe a course as a Harry Potter course is not particularly fair or particularly professional. And I'm sure that the girl studying to a shop clerk would think that these are of the same worth as any other degree.

För att läsa detta på svenska tryck här

No comments:

Post a Comment